Wednesday, October 12, 2011

American Horror Story















If you watch TV or go to the movies, or if you're a fan of horror movies and/or Ryan Murphy, you've more than likely been hearing about American Horror Story for months now. It all began with these very short "clues" that were aired on FX and were circulated all over the internet, like this one entitled "Lying Down". And then came the "Family Portrait" and finally, last Wednesday the show aired its pilot episode.

I basically loved it. The story is familiar: a family suffers some sort of tragedy or drama and relocates to a new town to start fresh, and/or said family purchases a house that would normally be way out their price range, but because of a previous tragedy in the house, the price is right. These elements alone draw me in. Enter an amazing all around cast, a beautiful spooky Victorian era house, and general creepiness, and you've got me hooked. The pilot episode was really, really good. And I can't wait to watch tonight's episode!

As far as the casting goes, here's the nut shell list:

Vivien (wife & mother): played by a new face for me, Connie Britton. She's hard for me to describe, but I really enjoy her character, and find her very relatable. I like her a lot.

Ben (husband & father): played by Dylan McDermott. Handsome and strong, but tender and pretty cool. He wears a snazzy, vintage looking Brixton hat and has a good sense of humor.

Violet (daughter): played by Taissa Farmiga, little sis to Vera Farmiga, a favorite of mine. Violet is adorable, edgy, and angsty, but not too angsty.

Tate (one of Ben's clients (?)...Ben's a therapist): played by Evan Peters (from the sadly short lived but awesome sci-fi series Invasion). I love this character! I can't wait to see what happens with him this season. He's messed up, disturbed, but charming and articulate.

Moira (the housekeeper, who comes with the house!): played by Frances Conroy (of Six Feet Under fame) and Alex Breckenridge (styled like a 1960s pinup girl in sexy maid costume). This character is seen as both a younger and older version of herself.

Constance (the nosy, fabulously glamourous, Southern neighbor): played to perfection by Jessica Lange. She's lived next door for a while, so she knows all kinds of secrets.

I'm sure I'll be writing more on this topic as the season progresses. Stay tuned!