Friday, August 17, 2012

Weekly Song List: Friday, August 17th

It's been a nutty week here in the Fussy Gussy studio. Getting ready for the Rock & Roll Yard Sale on Sunday. I'm very excited. But more on that tomorrow.

For now, on this ridiculously humid Friday night in mid-August, I give you the Fussy Gussy "Weekly Song List". I've included the usual 7 songs for the week, plus one "bonus" song that has been sort of my anthem this week. Enjoy!

1. In the Long Run. The Carrie Nations: From one of my favorite movies Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (not to be confused with Valley of the Dolls). The Carrie Nations are the all girl band at the center of the plot. This is my favorite of their songs. But they're all great!

2. Does He Love You?. Rilo Kiley: I love Jenny Lewis' voice so much. It's a perfect blend of sweet and strong. I think she's amazing. And this song is one of Rilo Kiley's best, I think. Great story. Love the build.

3. A Song For You. The Carpenters: Written by Leon Russell, though I'm most familiar with The Carpenters version of the song. Beautiful, heartbreaking song. My favorite lyric: "I love you in a place where there's no space or time". Swoon.

4. Raining Twilight Coast. Robyn Hitchcock: I was lucky enough to see this man live in a very small, dark club. When I was, maybe, 16 or 17. I remember much of the set (if not all of it) being just the man and his guitar. This song brings me back to that show. Brilliant.

5. Little By Little. Radiohead: I recently fell head over heels in love with the Radiohead album The King of Limbs on an afternoon car ride (there's something magical about listening to music in the car). This is my favorite song from the album.

6. Black Tin Box. Miike Snow: My favorite Miike Snow song right now. Great deep, gritty sounds. Spatially dense. I'm going to be seeing these guys live this Fall, and I'm so very excited. I think it's going to be one of the best shows ever.

7. We Own the Sky. M83: Simple. Electronic. Yummy. Gorgeousness.

******************************************************************************

8. (Happy Friday Bonus Song) Ball & Biscuit. The White Stripes: Thank goodness this song is over 7 minutes long. Amazing guitar. Love everything about it!

Photo: The Carrie Nations