Friday, October 26, 2012

Weekly Song List: Friday, October 26th

Craft fair mania!!! It's been a crazy week getting ready for the Salem Open Market and (as always) there are a few key songs that have helped keep my energy up. Stylistically, they're all over the place. But for me, they work wonders. 

And so, I give you this week's song list. Enjoy!

1. Paddling Out. Miike Snow: As all of my Twitter followers know, Miike Snow has been one of my favorite bands to listen to while getting ready for this craft fair. Their music blows my mind all the time, but the energy of album Happy To You really set the tone for my week. I also saw these guys live in Portland, ME this past weekend, so that experience is still fresh in my mind. I love this song with all of my heart. They played it live and it was a blast to dance to with a theater full of happy people.

2. Joy Ride. The Killers: From their 2006 album Day & Age. Again, I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something magical about this album that helps me to be super focused on my work, and yet full of energy and spirit. This song is a particular favorite. Love the whole album. Also, Sam's Town holds this same magic for me.

3. In Particular. Blonde Redhead: From their 2000 album Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons. I was completely obsessed with this album in 2000. I remember listening to it over and over again in my studio (I went to art school, so I spent a lot of time in my studio). Such a great album. And again, that inexplicable motivating force.

4. Movement & Location. Punch Brothers: Talk about motivating. This song literally moves forward, and at a great and steady speed. Such a beautiful song. This song was my introduction to Punch Brothers. Upon hearing more of their music though, and seeing them live a few weeks ago, I'm now totally enamored with these fellows. If you haven't heard it yet, listen to this song immediately.

5. Poor Tom. Led Zeppelin: I think that this is the first Led Zeppelin song I've featured on a weekly song list, which is crazy bananas. I have so much love for Led Zeppelin. Oh my sweet goodness. Like "Movement & Location", "Poor Tom" has amazing forward movement to it. The drums!!! I mean, seriously. The drums. Awesome. I recently invested in the Led Zeppelin complete studio recordings box set. Excellent idea on my part.

6. You've Got Her In Your Pocket. The White Stripes: I know that this song has already been featured on one of my weekly song list, but that just goes to show you how much I love it. Jack White and his guitar. I would do a variety of very dramatic things to hear him play this song live, as is. Just Jack and his guitar. Oh my! A beautiful, heartbreaking song.

7. Cooling. Tori Amos: From the 1999 double album To Venus and Back. This particular song is from the live album portion. I initially heard this song on the PBS live music/interview show Sessions At West 54th during which a musician or band would perform and then David Byrne would interview them about their music and creative process. Amazing show. I saw Tori on this show and it completely changed my feelings toward her music. I felt so connected to her creative process and ideas, and I really enjoyed her live performance. "Cooling" was her closing song and it blew me away/made me cry. Gorgeous song. I'd say it's one of my all time favorite songs. On this recording she talks about how she only plays it live "because it just didn't want to be on any of the records". She also refers to it as "one of her best friends of all the songs". I love this idea of her songs taking on their own identities and having a will of their own. Brilliant.

Photo: Miike Snow

P.S. Woah! I wrote so much about that Tori Amos song. I guess I just has a lot to say about it??? It didn't seem like that much when I was writing it, but alas.