Thursday, October 7, 2010

Never Let Me Go












I saw the movie Never Let Me Go yesterday afternoon, and I loved it. BUT, it disturbed me, and had me in tears for a good while both during the movie and afterward. The movie is based on the novel of the same name by Kazuo Ishiguro. I've not read the novel, and so I went into this movie with very few expectations. I suspect that this might be the ideal way to see it.

The story follows three students at an isolated boarding school in the UK, from middle school through their late 20s. The story is broken up into three parts: 1978, 1984, and 1994 (if I remember correctly?) Without revealing too much, I'll say that the story is very dark. Perhaps even sinister. Sad. Tugs at your heart strings. It is also sweet, romantic, and oddly cozy.

Carey Mulligan (who until now I honestly didn't care for), was fantastic as the female lead and narrator of the story. Andrew Garfield (the reason I wanted to see the movie in the first place), was also great. I just love him. Keira Knightly plays the (sort of) villain of the story and she's well cast. I have to make special note, though, of the child actors who are on the screen for the first 40 or so minutes. They were unreal. So, so good. And the casting director really looked for kids who resembled their adult counterparts. It was remarkable. Especially in the case of Kathy, Carey Mulligan's character.

I would definitely recommend this movie, but it's not for everyone. What movie ever is??? This one, though, in particular could either move you or leave you cold. For me, it will stay with me for a long while. I'm over the initial upset, but it gives me chills as I write.