Saturday, March 5, 2011

Black Swan, Red Eyes

















I've been meaning to write a little something about Black Swan for ages now. I've seen the movie twice, and yes, this means that I loved it. Instead of writing lengthy descriptions and meanderings on why I thought it was so wonderful (since you most likely have either seen it by now, or have heard enough about it to feel like you've seen it), I'm going to list a few key elements that work very well for me and leave it at that.

Here are some of things that I love about Black Swan:

1. Nina's day-to-day wardrobe. All that pink and grey, the shrugs, the tattered, worn out leg warmers. I love it all!

2. The horror. The anxiety. The angst. The all around relentless tension of the film.

3. Ballet. As a young girl I was pretty obsessed with ballet, and as I grew older my interest turned more to the aesthetics of ballet. The grace, and strength, and beauty of it all. And movies about ballet. The Red Shoes and Suspiria are two of my all time favorites.

4. Doppelgangers. They're creepy, no?

5. Vincent Cassel.

6. Natalie Portman. I've always been neutral-ish about Natalie. I absolutely loved her in this role. Her vulnerability and obsessive nature. And the transformation into the the black swan was remarkable.

7. Which brings me to my last note: Nina's transformation into the black swan. I adore the red eyes. The black feathers slowly making their way to the surface. Great details. And so creepy.

And that's that! Enjoy.