Monday, August 29, 2011

Mad Men
















I'm finally caught up on TVs favorite 1960s-revival-drama, Mad Men, and I have to say: I am finally in love with the show! The first three seasons were good, there's no doubt. But there's something very special about season four. Or a few very special somethings...

I love the shiny brilliance of the new agency, Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce. The office looks great, and I like that they're the "scrappy upstart", as Peter put it so well.

I love that Peggy is basically second in command to Don, creative-wise. It's about time. She's such a clever one.

I love Lane Pryce. I've always really liked Jared Harris, the actor who portrays the awkward-yet-charming British accountant who is doing his best to keep things afloat. He makes me giggle, and I like his three piece ensembles and double breasted jackets.

And I most especially love the episode entitled "The Suitcase".

Wow. What a well written, perfectly executed piece of television. The episode is mostly Peggy and Don in the office alone, working on copy and brainstorming. It's Peggy's birthday, she has plans with her boyfriend, and at the last moment, just as she's on her way out the door, Don calls her into his office. She can't say no...she's doesn't want to say no, really.

They end up spending the night together in a very sweet, respectful, platonic way (which is a real rarity on the show!) They work, they go out for Greek food, then drinks, they engage in emotional and surprisingly personal conversation, and ultimately fall asleep on Don's office couch, exhausted from lots of work and drink. It's a great episode. Highly recommended!

All in all, I'm so glad that I watched season four, and I'm excited to see what happens next!