Thursday, December 15, 2011

Nativity! Is My New Favorite Christmas Movie

















I've finally seen Nativity! I've had this movie on my "must see" list forever and a day, but it hasn't been available in the US...until now.

The movie was written and directed by my new hero Debbie Isitt, who also wrote and directed the hilarious (and apparently entirely improvised) wedding-competition movie Confetti (also a must see).

I think this lady is a comic/musical genius. She incorporates musical elements into both movies and a theatricality that is both charming and refreshing.

Nativity! tells the story of Paul Maddens, a primary school teacher who once had a love for acting, but lost this love when he lost his actor girlfriend (played by Ashley Jensen of Extras) to Hollywood. Word has it that she has become a famous Hollywood producer, and Paul feels sort of bitter and sad about this. We've also got Gordon Shakespeare (what a name!), a rival (private) school teacher and fellow actor. And lastly there's Mr. Poppy, Paul's child-like, enthusiastic new assistant teacher.

Both Gordon and Paul (much to his chagrin) are set up to put on a school production of the nativity story, and the hilarity ensues.

I don't want to give away too much of the plot here, but I do want to say that the kids in this movie are amazing. So cute. So funny. And talented, to boot! If you enjoy British comedies with dry humor, musicals in any capacity, and/or Christmas movies (or movies in general) that star Martin Freeman, you'll love Nativity!