Monday, April 30, 2012

Jack White + Gary Oldman = Something Fantastic

Jack White's long awaited solo album Blunderbuss has been released. It's a real keeper, but I'll write more on that later. This post is about Jack White's recent American Express Unstaged live show, directed by none other than the great Gary Oldman. The performance was streamed live on Vevo this past Friday. I didn't watch because (as you may know) I'll be seeing Mr. White live for myself later this Spring and I didn't want to ruin the surprise of the whole thing. This shouldn't keep you from giving it a look, though! I've read lots of rave reviews, and from what I can tell from stills, the stage is bathed in a perfect hazy blue. 

Leading up to the Unstaged show, a series of trailers were released, featuring both Mr. White and Mr. Oldman. I'm particularly fond of this trailer-come-inside-look which has footage the two men wrestling, driving around and talking, and of Jack White and his band performing a couple of really great songs in what looks like a music room of sorts at Third Man Records? I recognize the wall mounted elephant head from White's American Pickers episode.

May 26th: As a update, it seems that the entire American Express Unstaged show is no longer available for viewing, but select songs are available on Vevo. My favorite is "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground".