Monday, August 20, 2012

Classic Tale Of Romantic Suspense






















I'm re-reading Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca (the "classic tale of romantic suspense") and I'm loving every minute of it. Having read it years ago, and having watched the movie a zillion times, the story and characters are basically etched into my brain and imagination. In the past I've had a hard time seeing the story with any sort of new perspective or insight.

But recently I watched the movie for the first time in years, alone. And for whatever reason (perhaps my mood, perhaps some experience in my own life), I saw the movie in a whole new light. Characters seemed more tangible. More real. And I really related to the main character (who is nameless, other than being the new Mrs. de Winter), and empathized with her. I also saw Maxim very differently. It's hard to get past Laurence Olivier's mind melting good looks, but once you do it becomes clear just how deeply troubled his character is.

Rebecca remains my favorite movie. And as I said before, I'm loving every minute of the book. I highly recommend Rebecca to anyone who loves a good tale of romance and mystery, mixed with a great gothic sensibility and all around fantastic story telling.