Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Bride, Once Bitten, Labyrinth, And More!!!

My copy of The Bride arrived today. I'm so excited to watch it. I think I may have a sort of mini movie marathon this week and watch The Bride, Rowing With the Wind, Labyrinth, and Once Bitten.

These particular movies all came out between 1985 and 1988, and they all have a certain supernatural or fantasy element. All have a definite gothic atmosphere. And with the exception of Rowing With the Wind (which I don't believe I've seen all the way through), all of these movies had a huge impact on me as a kid. These stories seemed terribly romantic, very "grown-up", and very, very dark.

It seems crazy to me to think that I may have seen The Bride when I was only 7 years old. What!?! I remember my sister (as clear as day) talking about this movie, and how it was a big deal since Sting was in it. The poster totally intrigued me and I was completely fascinated by the story. It wasn't until years later, in high school, that I read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I think it may be time to read that one again. After I finish Rebecca, that is.

Photo: promotional still from The Bride