Tuesday, February 1, 2011

All That Heaven Allows

I'm back from my Wintertime hibernation, although Winter is in full force her in New England. The snow is crazy!!! We've had something like 7 or 8 feet fall, and then the snow is plowed and piled up into these giant snow mounds. Lucky for me, I like snow.

Which brings me to the photo above and the title of this posting...the beautiful and heart wrenching technicolor classic, All That Heaven Allows. It tells the story of recently widowed Cary (played by Jane Wyman) who falls in love with the local landscaper, tree farmer, wood worker, and all around free spirit, Ron (played by Rock Hudson). Now keep in mind, this is the mid-late 50s. Keeping up with the Joneses is all that seems to matter to most everyone in this story. Everyone, except for Cary and Ron (and a few open minded close friends).

A wealthy widow and mother of two grown children falling in love with a free spirited tree farmer-come-wood worker!?! Enter: wealthy, judgemental, gossipy society and you've got one killer melodrama. And this is about 30% of why I love this movie. The other 70% goes to Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson who were perfect in their roles, and (of course) to the art direction. Lush, gorgeous landscapes and interiors, some Christmas decor during the holidays, and plenty of snow.

I've watched it a few times now, and plan on watching it again soon. I think I'll make it a Wintertime tradition!