Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Weekly Song List: Wednesday, July 25th

And here you have it! My very first weekly song list. Feel free to leave any questions/comments in the "comments" section, and enjoy!

1. Is David Bowie Dying??. The Flaming Lips + Neon Indian: the Lips played this song when I saw them live this past October in Portland, ME. It was my favorite song of the whole show. Amazing song. I also love Neon Indian.

2. Superstar. Sonic Youth: completely brilliant cover of The Carpenters song, which also happens to be a completely brilliant song in its own right. Haunting. Dark. Romantic. Beautiful.

3. Optimistic. Radiohead: awesome, lush, gorgeous song from Radiohead's 2000 album Kid A.

4. Broken Boy Soldiers. The Raconteurs: this is the song that got me hooked on The Raconteurs. I love the momentum of the whole thing. It makes me feel like I'm riding horseback in some Western, or running at a great speed through the woods. Great song to listen to while driving.

5. Alesund. Sun Kill Moon: I heard this song during an episode of Sons of Anarchy. It was very well placed, and I think I'll forever think of that scene when I hear the song. And, I've just discovered that this "band" is actually a moniker for Mark Kozelek, formerly of Red House Painters (a favorite of mine from way back). He writes some of the most heartbreaking songs.

6. Dark Days. Punch Brothers: from The Hunger Games original soundtrack. Beautiful song. I just love these guys. Can't wait to see them live in a few months!

7. Night After Night. Laura Marling: every time I hear this girl I have to remind myself that she's only 22. She has so much soul and emotion and vitality in her voice. I know that age doesn't matter, really. She's just so accomplished and poised. She's my new favorite. She's magic!

Photo: The Flaming Lips.